Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Reflections on a Recent Conversation

I have been becoming an increasing fan of Seth Godin as many people that have talked with me recently can attest. One of Seth's thoughts that pop up again and again is that if you aren't remarkable then you are invisible.

My wife recently arranged an awesome night without the kids. There was 2 hours of adult (by my standards) conversation with a couple we are very good friends with. My friend and I were discussing the book of Nehemiah in the Bible. This is just an amazing, even remarkable, story of a cupbearer to the king making some radical requests to go take on a huge project to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.

The thing is, at the time, Nehemiah was just Nehemiah. He wasn't that great that we know of. He was a cupbearer. Did he know he was going to be enshrined in the Bible when he did what he did? Did he expect to be an instrument of great change for a whole nation? Did he think that people would be motivated by his actions?

I think we make a mistake in looking at the remarkable people and their stories and think that we could never do that. At the time they didn't know they would be remarkable.

So why not you? You might not end up in the Bible (actually, I know you won't) but maybe your remarkable story will inspire someone else to take their first steps to a remarkable story.

1 comment: